By Margaret Lea Author Cathey Nickell will be presenting “How to Hustle: Author Visits 101” at our October 5, 2026 chapter meeting. (This hybrid meeting will meet concurrently at 6:30 PM at the Tracy Gee Community Center and also on Zoom.)
My email interview with Cathey is below. Check out her website at catheynickell.com.
1) Tell us about your books.
My two picture books—Arthur Zarr’s Amazing Art Car and Yazzy’s Amazing Yarn—are all about creativity, outsider art, and thinking outside the box. Both books have a whimsical theme of turning the ordinary into extraordinary! I draw from my experience as a former newspaper reporter and public relations professional to bring an exciting presentation full of personal stories, writing/publishing tips, and “insider information” about my books. Plus an art car!
I’ve also completed two middle grade novels—full of humor and heart—that my agent has out on submission. No luck yet, but my fingers and toes are still crossed.
2) How did you first line up jobs doing school visits?
My first school visits came through connections I already had, such as friends and family referrals. Once I had done a few visits, word-of-mouth became increasingly important. I also learned pretty quickly that school visits are something I have to actively pursue. You can't simply assume that schools will find you because you have a published book. I began developing presentations that were genuinely useful and entertaining for students—not just “Come hear an author talk about her books”—and that pushed the envelope further than “story times.” One successful visit can lead to another: a librarian tells another librarian, a teacher recommends me to another school, or a school invites me back the following year (and sometimes year after year!).
3) How do you determine pricing for school visits?
I look at school visits as a professional service, not simply as an opportunity to promote my books; I also don’t offer school visits for free. I have set fees broken down as follows: (1) half day fee, which can be anywhere from 1-4presentations; (2) full day fee, with a maximum of 6 presentations. I charge the same thing for every school, pretty much no matter what. I have made some exceptions for Title 1 schools, but I’ve found that in many cases, they have a budget as well and can pay. For schools outside of Houston, I add an extra travel fee. I think it’s a good idea for authors to find out what is customary in their own geographic area and among authors with a similar level of experience when setting their fees. Some schools host a “Career Day,” and they generally want their speakers to be volunteers with no pay; I have made exceptions for these events as well, and I do a different type of talk (not my usual School Author Visit presentation). I will discuss my fees and exactly what I charge in my SCBWI talk.
4) Approximately how many schools do you visit each year, and how many presentations do you typically do in one day?
I do approximately 10-25 school visits per year, although it varies from year to year. I won’t do more than 6 presentations in a full scheduled day (i.e., roughly 8:30a-2:30p, depending on the school’s needs). Many authors have capped their presentations at a max of 3, which is understandable. But I have found that I still have the energy to do 6 (back-to-back!), and it works out well for the elementary schools since it allows me to speak separately to K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. One of the things I try to remember is that for many students, this may be the only time they ever meet a real author. So even if I'm giving my final presentation of the day, I want that last group to feel like they're getting my first presentation.
5) Who do you contact to set these visits up?
I usually contact the school librarian (or that’s who typically reaches out to me). I also work with art teachers, since both of my picture books have such a large art component to them. One tip I’d offer is: Don't just send a generic email or flyer to the school. Instead, try to find the actual person who organizes author visits (often the librarian!). A personalized email to the right person is much more effective; I also mention in the email if was referred by one of their parents or colleagues. Make your initial email easy to act on: Include who you are, what you write, the ages/grades you work with, what your presentation is about, and a link to your website if you have one; I also go ahead and tell them up-front what my fees are—I like to nip the money conversation in the bud!
6) Are you a full-time author, or do you have another job too?
For many years, I was a newspaper reporter, freelance magazine writer, and I held a few different public relations positions. I eventually stopped working full-time to raise my four kids (2 sons, 2 stepdaughters), so life was quite full for many years. Now, I work part-time for myself as a landlord, managing a few rental properties that my husband and I own. I’m also a part-time Houston-based speaker, which has offered me the opportunity to give more than 200 presentations to elementary schools, bookstores, and children’s museums in Texas, Louisiana, and other states. Additionally, I’ve been invited to be the guest speaker at a variety of ladies groups and other organizations. Between all this and trying to find time to write, I stay very busy.
7) How many different school presentations do you have ready?
I have about 3-4 presentations, and I think this is something that evolves over time. I don't create an entirely new presentation for every school. Instead, I have a few core presentations that I can adapt depending on the age of the students, the school's goals, and the amount of time I have. Truth be told, I end up doing the same presentation over and over for the most part—there is one main talk I offer that most schools prefer, so that ends up being the one I most often do.
8) What do you enjoy most about school visits?
The kids! There's something wonderful about being in a room full of unjaded children who haven't yet decided that they're “not creative” or “not writers.” They also ask the best questions—questions adults would never think to ask, and they often come up with observations about writing or reading that are surprisingly insightful. School visits are a great antidote to the solitary nature of writing. Suddenly you're in a room with 100-plus kids who are laughing, asking questions, and talking about stories. It is sometimes exhausting, sure, but also very energizing!
9) What is the most difficult thing about school visits?
For me, the hardest part is probably the logistics—the many (many!!) back-and-forth emails with the librarian, all the reminders I need to provide, invoicing (and then gathering my payment), getting the schedule ahead of time, figuring out technology, etc. It’s a lot of work, and I have to stay very organized. Also, every school is different: Sometimes the technology doesn't work; sometimes the schedule changes; Sometimes you're presenting to 250 kids in a humid, echoey gymnasium when you were expecting a smaller group in a quiet library setting. It’s a live event, so I’ve learned to roll with it … expect the unexpected!

Comments
Post a Comment