Renee Nolte writes about author Candace Kade



Just across our state line in Oklahoma is American-born, raised in China, dual-speaking author Candace Kade, who is this month's feature, and we are most excited to introduce you. She has two published YA novels, Enhanced and Hybrid, and her third in the series finishes this month. Enclave Publishing discovered her at a conference while practicing her pitch over lunch. Let's say she had them at Hello or Ni Hao! I'm excited to share a little about her, even personally; let's start with some of her early beginnings. It will show you how her vision came to fruition.

 

I first met Candance over a decade ago while she was in Grad school at Texas A&M. She enrolled in my Krav Maga program (Hand-to-Hand Combat from the Israeli Defense Force)—her aim to learn the components and details for fight scenes for Enchanced that she began writing. Training under my tutelage for 18 months, she nailed it! The author of this action-packed series learned self-defense for fight scenes! Like specific areas to attack & counter-attack and real-life street scenarios. She was consistently focused and trained hard, fitting the design of a true Kravist practitioner. After leaving TAMU, she evolved in Krav Maga and cross-trained in JiuJitsu, inserting more fight scenes for her series. I'm proud to say in this way that I am part of her journey!

Candance is pictured on the right in the 2nd row with a black tank. Renee Nolte is in front of her class with blue pants and black shirt. This is the Krav Maga class she was enrolled in.

Here are a couple of testimonials about her book. I am excited to see what she publishes next!

 

Enhanced (Volume 1) (The Hybrid Series) 

"New and innovative. Candace Kade's impressive debut expertly tackles the theme of identity while immersing readers in a futuristic world unlike any other. In this action-packed mystery where the genetically Enhanced are pitted against Naturals, everyone is suspect, and no one is safe. Can't wait for what happens next!"

– S.F. Rhoads

"Enhanced is unlike anything I've ever read. Candace Kade's debut novel will draw readers into the wonderfully inventive urban sci-fi setting of New Beijing, filled with bot professors, social scores, and genetic enhancements. The story is a fast-paced blend of action, adventure, and mystery that kept me reading chapter after chapter. I loved Urban's story and cannot wait to find out what happens next.

– Jill Williamson, Christy Award-winning author of By Darkness Hid and Thirst

 

Part of her inspiration for becoming an Author came after reading the popular YA book Eragon by Christopher Palloni. He wrote this novel at age 15, and it became the first of a five-series book. Even though Candace was a teenager, she shared, "I knew that if he could do it, so could I!"

 

When asked what inspired her to write a series vs a stand-alone book, she said, "I love series and to see worlds and characters develop."

 

Candace prioritizes her time by writing and addressing deadlines in the morning. Then, around noon, she will do marketing, which she is AMAZING at; her website and social media are brilliant. "Having a degree in Science & Marketing has helped me in this area; I also worked for Dell in marketing for 6 1/2 years." At Dell, she was an online Artesian marketer. They also trained her in public speaking, attending numerous workshops and presentation programs. They aimed for good public speakers, an area she shares that may not be a strong point for some authors. 

 

Having a full schedule, she still makes time to help other Authors who ask to endorse their books or ARCs. "If it's a physical book, it will take me about a month to read, and if it's an ebook, I'll listen on Audible." Outside of that, Candance participates in critique groups and book clubs, joins discussions, and even does outreach for teens.

 

Candance joined SCBWI in 2020. "SCBWI is a source of encouragement; I love my chapter and have made many friends here."

 

She's a Christian; although these books are not Christian, they are Asian-inspired for the General Market. She avoids sensitive topics in her books, making the Enclave Publishing offer appealing. Talking about her desired outcome from her readers, "I hope they will take away that everyone's DNA has worth (you are valuable) and fight for your family." She is now a wife, married to her husband for four years, and has a 2-year-old and a two-month-old. She hopes the family unit takes on JiuJitsu when the boys get older. I love how she includes the family unit in all she does. That inspires me, and it goes back to a phrase I used to share in my Dojo: "A family who trains together stays together." 

 

You can learn more about Candance at www.candancekade.com


Comments