An interview with Heather Cashman


In an interview with Renee Nolte, Heather Cashman, Agent at Storm Literary Agency, shares an inside view of growing successfully in the publishing business.

By Renee Nolte

Should everyone have an agent? 


Having an agent for representation has advantages and disadvantages. Whichever your choice, literary agent Heather Cashman believes your work is valid and has an audience. But with that said, an agent is not for everyone. 


Heather says if a person’s work is not commercial enough for the trade market, or if they enjoy the freedom of self-publishing and do not want to relinquish editorial control, then an agent would not benefit them. 


There are those who are both equipped and better served pioneering the self-published road, but there is also power in a team. (fun fact: T.E.A.M. stands for together everyone achieves more.) And it's this synergistic work of people joining in a common goal that many of us are looking for. 


Heather shares that an agent is a good idea if one desires to be traditionally published. When your book can sell widely, traditional publishing is your best route. And an agent is a good idea when the artist has their eye on foreign rights, film, and merchandising because an agent can help you navigate those rights.


What can we do to improve our chances of becoming traditionally published and global? 


Heather says, “Number one: Write!" She adds, "It's unnecessary to write every day to be a writer, but you will get quality when you do quantity. It's a craft, so practice it to master it. You'll write ten picture books, and one will be AMAZING, but you will only get to ten if you have written the other nine! Write consistently.
"Number two: Editing other people's work. Because you need to start looking at things from an editorial standpoint to understand how to edit your [own] work, or why others want you to change things, make this part of your craft work.

"Number three: Read!" 


You may be asking yourself what conversation Heather has with a potential client before considering representation?


Luckily for you, I asked her just that. Heather is looking for the answers to these questions:

  • What are your expectations and goals in a writing career, and are they both reasonable? 
  • What other projects do you have? 
  • What age groups and genres? 
  • What communication do you expect from me and me from you? (Heather is a master communicator.)

Then from the responses she receives she asks herself, "Can I build a potential career for this person?"


What are the top three things Heather hopes to achieve with a client? 


Heather says:

  • I want to build them a career that is MOST important to me. I ensure editors and publishers take care of them and negotiate the best deal possible.
  • I want to sell their books.
  • I want to continue to help them build a career the best I can, and if I can help get them awards in there, please let's do that!

And finally, when we become her client, how are funds agreed upon in negotiating a book deal? 


Heather says, "It's not the same in all agencies, but at Storm, the publisher will send me an initial offer, and I will counter it. I will propose a different offer that is better in every way. I will push back on everything I can—for example, a higher advance, better royalty rates, retaining rights, and more. I always share my work with my clients, so they understand it. I also ensure my client is on board and has approved my proposals."


Heather goes the extra mile beyond the standard representation. Engaged in creating her client's success, she desires to foster longevity and sustainability. If you are looking for an agent who goes to bat for you and sets the bar for communicating expectations, then join us in our upcoming zoom conversation with Heather Cashman. You’ll have the chance to ask her your own questions, and the opportunity to query her (although she is closed to the general public, she will be open to queries from all attendees)! Click here to register for the “Basics and Beyond: Writing Picture Books” webinar airing January 6th, 2024 (you can also register for a "Get Submission Ready" meet up with other writers on the same page). 


With the new year in front of us, I hope we can all be brighter creatives, put our shoulders to the wheel and push along, and gain the rewards from helpful tips with discipline and enthusiasm to reach new levels of learning and with much success! 


Cheers, Renee Nolte


Comments

  1. I like the suggestion to edit the work of others! Never thought how that can connect to growth! Nuggets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended the webinar and Heather is sooo informative! I can't believe how well she teaches! If anyone is considering attending any webinar presented by her, DO IT!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment